I did it. I made the perfect homemade simple vegan Pad Thai recipe. It’s easy, inexpensive, and delicious!
Simple Vegan Pad Thai Recipe
Serves 2 hungry people
10 oz dried rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions
1/2 cup brown sugar, or coconut sugar
Juice from 2 limes
1/4 cup soy sauce (substitute Tamari to make it GF)
1 tbsp sriracha (adjust to taste)
1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry, cut into 1-inch cubes
1-2 tsp minced ginger
5 scallions, sliced
Lots of veggies! I used red bell pepper and shredded carrot.
2 cloves of garlic
Crushed peanuts and more scallions, for topping
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- Fry the tofu. This can be done in an air-fryer (my preferred method) or skillet. Spray tofu cubes with cooking spray and lightly season with salt. To use an air-fryer, arrange cubes in the basket, set the temp to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Toss occasionally during cooking time. To fry in a skillet, cook cubes for 3-5 minutes on each side over medium heat. Add oil as necessary. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the veggies. Heat the same skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, scallions, and veggies. Spray with cooking spray or lightly drizzle with oil. Toss to coat. Light season with salt. You don’t want to over-salt because these ingredients will later be cooked in the Pad Thai sauce. Cook until the veggies have softened and started to brown, about 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add cooked rice noodles to the same skillet over medium-low heat. Add about half of the sauce mixture. Stir to coat. Let it simmer until most of the sauce is absorbed. Toss in the fried tofu and veggies. Add more sauce as needed to let everything fully coat and absorb. You may have a little extra sauce, it depends on how intense you want to flavor to be.
- To serve, top with peanuts and more scallions.
For another easy weeknight noodle dish, check out my recipe for Dan Dan Noodles.3