These vegan chocolate raspberry sweet rolls are the treat you never knew you needed. If you’re not yet a fan of chocolate and raspberry, you certainly will be after trying this recipe. The hint of banana in the dough also adds a nice depth of flavor and natural sweetness.
Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Sweet Rolls Recipe
Makes 12 Buns
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup almond milk
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp salt
½ cup vegan margarine
2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
¼ cup warm water
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup raspberry jam
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 tsp almond milk, more as needed
- To make the Buns: In a medium saucepan, whisk bananas, nondairy milk, ⅓ cup sugar, vegan butter, and salt over low heat until combined. Set aside to cool a bit. In a measuring cup, add warm water and yeast. Stir gently and set aside for 10 minutes. The mixture should become foamy and double in size. If it does not do that, the yeast is not good and you will need to try again with new yeast.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine applesauce mixture and yeast mixture at medium speed for about 1 minute. Reduce speed and slowly add half of the flour. Once combined, add the remaining flour. Mix until combined. Change to the dough hook attachment and knead for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Transfer dough to a large well-oiled bowl. Roll the dough around the oil so that it is completely coated, to prevent sticking as it rises. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the kitchen towel and punch down the dough to deflate it. Take the dough out onto a clean floured surface and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Roll out dough to a 20 x 13-inch rectangle. Spread raspberry jam gently onto the dough in an even layer.
- With the long side facing you, roll the dough up gently but firmly. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place rolls cut side up in a lightly greased baking dish. Cover with a dry towel and let rise in a warm place for an additional hour. Bake 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- To make the Chocolate Drizzle: Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring frequently. Stir in almond milk as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!