While this recipe is one of the simplest I’ve ever made, it is also one of my favorites. The grilled artichoke hearts pair perfectly with the lemon garlic dip, and putting it on grilled bread just makes everything better.
Rather than using fresh artichokes that require much more preparation, I used artichoke heart halves from a jar. I’m not sure if this is just a preference, but I find that artichokes packaged in glass jars work much better for this dish than those found in a can. I find canned artichokes to be a little too briny for my liking, and I also think jarred artichoke hearts tend to be more tender as well.
The lemon garlic dip calls for roasted garlic, which is very easy to make. Simply take a whole head of garlic and slice off the top. Wrap the garlic head in foil with a drizzle of olive oil and cook in a 400-degree Fahrenheit oven for approximately 30 minutes. This is my standard method of roasting garlic and can be used in other recipes that call for it, such as Mushroom and Ricotta Toast.
I recommend this recipe as a starter for an intimate dinner with one or two other people. However, this recipe can also easily be multiplied to feed a larger number of guests. In fact, the simplicity makes it a great stress-free option if you’re hosting any type of dinner party.
Grilled Artichoke Hearts with Lemon Garlic Dip Recipe:
- Lemon Garlic Dip
- ½ cup vegan mayo (I use Follow Your Heart Veganaise)
- 4-5 cloves roasted garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 19.6 oz jar (580ML) artichoke hearts, cut in half
- 3 slices Italian bread
- Fresh thyme and lemon wedges, for garnish
- To make the lemon garlic dip: In a small bowl, vigorously whisk together the mayo, roasted garlic cloves, and lemon zest. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the grilled artichokes: Preheat grill or grill pan on high heat.
- Place each artichoke slice on the grill, cook on each side, about 3-5 minutes or until there is visible char. Simultaneously, grill each slice of bread for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with lemon garlic dip. Garnish with lemon wedge and fresh thyme.