Finally. I’ve done it. I’ve found my perfect vegan mac and cheese recipe. Even better, this smoked gouda jalapeño mac and cheese can be made entirely gluten-free, so no one has to feel left out! Basically a bowl of gold, this is hands down the best mac and cheese I’ve ever had.
Smoked Gouda Jalapeño Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 1 8oz box gluten-free pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 3/4 cup fresh water
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 7-oz pack Follow Your Heart Smoked Gouda slices, cut into cubes
- 1/8 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- 1 1/2 jalapeños diced
- 1/2 cup jalapeño potato chip, broken into fine crumbs
- Jalapeño slices, for garnish
- In a high-speed blender, add soaked cashews, water, almond milk, tapioca, turmeric, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend together until completely smooth.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add the blended mixture and smoked gouda slices, whisk together. Continue whisking until the vegan cheese has melted and the blended mixture has thickened considerably. If you would like to deepen the smokey flavor, add liquid smoke at this time. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a baking dish or cast iron skillet, add the cooked pasta and diced jalapeños. Then pour over the cheese sauce and mix together well.
- Sprinkle an even layer of the jalapeño potato chip crumbs on top, then place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with jalapeño slices and vegan bacon bits (I use the rice paper bacon recipe by Edgy Veg.