Lately, vegan carrot dogs have skyrocketed in the vegan world, and rightfully so. They take all of the good aspects of hot dogs and leave behind the bad. These pretzel-wrapped carrot dogs are delightfully salty, smoky, and savory. Although the texture is reminiscent, you don’t have to worry about a carrot hot dog bouncing eerily high if it lands on the floor. After all, they are just marinated carrots- not rubber mystery meat.
Although you can pretty easily make your own soft pretzel dough, I decided to take the easy route. Instead of making dough from scratch, I just purchased a pound of my grocery store’s fresh made pizza dough. After it was all said and done, there was no noticeable difference in the outcome or quality. In fact, these carrot hot dogs were so good that it was pretty difficult to stop snacking on them.
It is important to note that the carrots themselves take about 48 hours to marinate, so plan ahead when making these!
Mini Pretzel-Wrapped Vegan Carrot Dogs Recipe:
- Vegan Carrot Dogs
- 1/2 lb Baby carrots, boiled for 8 minutes, and drained
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- Vegan butter, for brushing
- Coarse sea salt, for topping
- Whisk all marinade ingredients into the bowl of a glassware container. Toss in the boiled baby carrots. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- After the mini carrot dogs have marinated, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out the dough about 1/2 in thick. Begin cutting approximately 1.5-inch strips of the dough. Wrap each mini carrot dog in the dough strips and set aside on a parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Lower the heat and gently add in the baking soda. Stir.
- Place a few dough-wrapped carrot dogs at a time pinch-side down into the water. Let them sit for about 30 seconds. Use a large slotted spoon to remove the dough-wrapped carrot dogs from the water and back onto the baking sheet again. Repeat with each dough-wrapped carrot dog. Be sure to keep the rolls spaced at least an inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of each pretzel with vegan butter and sprinkle coarse sea salt on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with dipping sauce of your choice.