This creamy pesto soup is so comforting, but also packs enough heartiness and nutrients for a satisfying meal. The base of this soup is potato, which creates a smooth texture with a mild flavor that allows the pesto to shine.
Creamy Pesto Soup with Orzo, Beans, & Spinach
- 2 lbs white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 lb cooked orzo
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 15-oz can cannellini beans
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts, vegan parmesan, and fresh basil
- In a large pot, heat oil over a medium flame. Add the potato and onion. Allow to soften, cooking for about 8 minutes. Add garlic, pine nuts, and salt. Cook for another minute. Stir.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Purée either using an immersion blender or standing blender. If using a standing blender, purée in batches. Transfer the puréed soup back to the original pot.
- Turn the soup back on medium-low heat. Stir in spinach, orzo, nutritional yeast and beans. Allow spinach to wilt and beans to cook through completely.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice. Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve and garnish with toasted pine nuts, vegan parmesan, and fresh basil.