I’ve baked many cupcakes in my day, but these just may be my favorite. I made these vegan s’mores cupcakes for my best friend’s graduation party, and they all vanished within minutes! They were a total hit among vegans and non-vegans alike. I recommend making these cupcakes for any special occasion you have coming up; they’re sure to impress anyone that tries them.
Vegan S’mores Cupcakes Recipe:
Make 16 Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup cold coffee
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 vegan large marshmallows
- Butter Cream Frosting:
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tbsp canned coconut Milk, mixed well before measuring
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate ships (dairy-free)
- ¼ cup canned coconut Milk, mixed well before measuring
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Graham cracker pieces for garnish
- To Make the Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with 16 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt (dry ingredients). In a separate bowl, whisk together the coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, then whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Evenly distribute the cupcake batter into the pan, filling each cupcake lining about two thirds. Place one large vegan marshmallow in the center of each cup of the pan, allowing the marshmallow to be almost fully covered by the batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 16 to 18 minutes.
- To Make the Butter Cream Frosting: Use a stand or hand mixer to beat the shortening and vegan butter until softened and smooth. With the mixing running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and coconut milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it reaches a spreadable consistency. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat for 2 minutes, and light and fluffy.
- To Make the Chocolate Ganache: Melt chocolate chips and coconut milk in the microwave in 30-second intervals until it comes together when stirred. Whisk in oil until smooth.
- To Assemble Cupcakes: Fill a piping bag with a star tip with the buttercream frosting. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, starting in the center and swirling it around the top. Then, drizzles ganache over each frosted cupcake. Top with a graham cracker piece on each cupcake.