Mac n’ Cheese seems to be one of those foods that makes people very hesitant to give up dairy products. But I think something important for people to know when considering this lifestyle is that just because you’re saying “no” to animal products, that does not mean that you have to give up the foods you love. There is a vegan version of just about anything, often multiple versions! When it comes to vegan mac n’ cheese, there are a few ways you can achieve that rich, creamy, salty “cheese” sauce,
A very popular base for vegan cheese sauce is cashews soaked in water and then blended. However, cashews are pretty high in fat and expensive. As a college student on a budget, I wanted to make a cheese sauce that would cost as little as possible. The secret ingredients? Potatoes and carrots.
I know, I know… how could that possibly taste like cheese? But you have to trust me, it’s really good and satisfied all my mac n’ cheese cravings for the night. I’ll admit it’s not as decadent as its cashew counterpart, but it certainly gets the job done. This mac n’ cheese is guilt-free with its low fat content and minimally processed ingredients, but more importantly because it is entirely cruelty-free. And if you’re hoping for that decadent cashew mac n cheese recipe, don’t worry it will come 🙂
Also, I cooked everything in my dorm using a microwave, and it came out great. This is a very dorm-friendly recipe if you have the right equipment on hand.
I hope you give this recipe a try!
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (optional if you want a super low-fat version)
- Juice from 1/4 of a Lemon
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste (I used a little over a tsp)
- 8 oz. macaroni
- Place the diced potatoes and carrots in the largest microwave-safe container you can fit into your microwave. Fill the container with water so the vegetables are almost covered. Cook for 8 minutes or until tender, stirring half way. Be sure to watch the container to check that the water does not boil over. Drain, but reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- In a blender, blend the vegetables, 1/2 cup of the cooking water, vegetable oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the same large container where you microwaved the vegetables, place the macaroni and cover with water. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring half way.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and mix well.