Tomato soup with grilled cheese is a classic, and by far one of my favorite cold-weather meals. If you have a can of condensed tomato soup sitting in your pantry, you no longer have to feel constrained to just heating it up and serving. Canned tomato soup serves as a great base for this heartier soup that has that “homemade” taste. With a few more ingredients, you have the power to completely revamp your soup-eating experience. Work smarter, not harder!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz. Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1 1/4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 cup Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to caramelize. Then add garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Pour in crushed basil, condensed soup, and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir in cashew cream and basil.Taste for salt and pepper. Serve and garnish with basil leaves. An accompaniment of vegan grilled cheese is highly recommended.